Winter!: Prepare for holiday gaming!
What I liked:
- Built on the DotA framework, this rendition is actually greatly simplfiied. But I like it this way. It's more appealing to a great and diverse amount of people (the fanbase has grown considerably since the beta), and the sacrifice of sometimes overbearing complexity is well worth it in the name of having more fun.
- There's a large and diverse champion roster, each with their own potential builds and playstyles. A new champion is added every fortnight.
- The game is (for a PvP game with over one hundred playable characters, anyway) pretty well-balanced, with weekly maintenance and patching to fix any issues. Sure, there's the occasional bout of complete ridiculousness, but given the large roster and the factors that this imposes, I'm pretty happy with the balancing.
- There's a queue type for everybody, really. There's custom games if you want to mess about or create your own style of game, there's standard PvP, ranked for the serious players, and several gamemodes to mix things up. There's also basic and intermediate bots, for the PvE-oriented.
- The social side is well-implemented - Summoner profiles, stats, match history, etc.
- Visually the game is pleasing and colourful. There are a few old champions that could use a serious makeover, but there aren't any major issues here.
- The matchmaking is quick (; rinse and repeat ad-infinitum...
- Some design decisions are rather deplorable, and at times there are more minor, insignificant tweaks than there are much-needed changes.
Game Traits applied to League of Legends (PC) by Fruitlewp